Thursday, May 21, 2009

The power of language

Headlines, the news, radio talk shows are all repeating the heavy drag of a world in financial crisis, eager to taint our world in the same hallows shades of doom.

As a budding entrepreneur who gave up the security of my career last Nov at a time when the rising tide of dis-ease about security, I work hard to keep myself positive, energized in the quiet rebellion against the fear and uncertainty. I firmly believe my disempowerment will not benefiting anyone.

A few days ago I was listening to a rebroadcast podcast by
Sonia Choquette and heard this.

“These are not bad times, these are challenging times.”

A simple choice of different words cast such a different light on reality.

The word bad brings with it a life long baggage of every negative circumstances and emotions we have experienced.
The word challenging calls out and appeals us to rise above circumstances with courage, dignity, creativity and invites us to defy whatever is challenging us.

5 years ago I did the
Landmark Forum and from it I learnt about the transformational power of language. The Sonia quote above is a powerful demonstration of this.

Thank you Sonia. This entry is dedicated to you and your wisdom.

No comments: